My son has been accepted to Tufts University. He is now a Jumbo.

My son is a 2013 LHP/OF. Instead of pursuing an athletic scholarship in Texas, he wanted to see if baseball might help ease his application along at a good school back East. He has strong SAT/ACT scores and is ranked in the top 10% of his class, but it appears to take more than that to get into an Ivy-caliber school.

Most of the schools he was interested in don't seem to scout much in Texas (at least not where he had been playing). With this in mind, I took him to Headfirst on Long Island in August. My son is 6'1" and did well in the showcase: he played his positions the right way, ran hard on every play, etc. I was proud of him.

We went to New York not knowing if anything would come of our visit. My son understood that if it did not work out--if no one was interested--at least he would be able to say he tried to make it happen and it just wasn't in the cards. Once we returned to Houston, however, he started to hear from several schools.

The interest from the Ivies was lukewarm ("come to our $500 prospect camp next month"; "we would love to have you as a walk-on"; "you're #3 on our depth chart and we are only taking two"; etc.), but the smaller, Division III schools showed greater interest. Some of these "Little Ivies" (or “Hidden Ivies”) told him that they liked him as a player, but that his test scores were not high enough to get in. Others were more positive. They invited him to come visit, see the campus, meet the players, etc. As his father, I preferred that--if he were to play baseball in college--he do so at a D3 due to the shorter seasons and reduced off-season practice obligations (compared to the more rigorous D1).

In late September, we went back East again to visit one of these schools. He got to stay overnight with the players, eat in the dining halls, and go to a football game. He had a great time overall and really liked the school and coach. He decided to apply "binding early decision" (with the coach’s support) to this school, and would know in mid-December if he were accepted. If accepted, we would know where he would go. If not, we would be back to square one.

And so, we waited; that was the hardest part...until yesterday.

My son has been accepted to Tufts University. He is now a Jumbo.

This story was taken from from

I think there would have been many more opportunities if he had taken ownership of the recruiting process.

Let me start by saying my son was dropped off on Saturday at a D3 school that is the absolute best place for him. Good academics, fits his personality, AND good baseball program (notice what is last).

We got a bit of a late start for not being in a high profile part of the state and my son was not very proactive in the process. I think there would have been many more opportunities if he had taken ownership of the recruiting process. Let's face it, you are marketing yourself and need to get out there.

He did have a mid-D1 program follow him through part of the Summer of his junior year but they disappeared. I still think part of the reason was that my son didn't follow-up with the recruiting coordinator after one of the coaches drove an hour to see him pitch (about the third coach that had seen him including the head coach).

He was also contacted by several D3 programs. It was the school where the HC called weekly and that my son turned to me during the campus tour saying "I really want to go here" that we dropped him off at on Saturday.

Yes, the process was a roller coaster ride (especially when interest was coming from more than one level) and it was frustrating with a son who was not taking ownership. As I kept telling him, "there is a deadline." Our deadline was that he had to make a college decision prior to the start of his Senior season so there would be no distractions, especially with his classes.

We are so glad that he is at the school where he answered "Yes" to the question "Would you still want to go here if you could not play baseball?"

This post was taken from